Outdoor Softball - Division 5
- Ages 11, 12. (Some age allowances are made—check with the co-ordinator)
- Teams will play on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm and Saturdays, from 1:00pm—2:30pm. Rained out games may be rescheduled for Friday evenings. Or Sunday afternoons—at the Co-ordinator’s discretion. We are looking to partner with other softball leagues in the City and there may be some traveling to other communities for some weekday games.
- Teams play at Ethel Milliken School, 4510 Queen Street.
- Uniforms consist of a numbered t-shirt and a ball cap—which the player’s keep. Players must supply their own ball glove. For sanitary reasons, players are encouraged to supply their own helmets and have them clearly labeled with their name. Players must wear helmets while running the bases. The league will supply a limited number of helmets—players must wear your ball cap under the league helmet.
- Division 5—Softball plays by typical softball/baseball rules.
- Player pitch. Windmill Pitching and Underhand only. No overhand pitching.
- Player catch.
- 3 strikes, the batter is out.
- 4 balls, the batter gets a walk.
- 3 outs, side retired.
- 5 run mercy rule.
- 1 base only on an over throw. The runner gets 1 base automatically on an overthrow unless the runner is on 3rd base. The runner cannot get home on an overthrow.
- Base Runners are allowed to walk home from 3rd base if bases are loaded and batter gets a walk.
- No stealing bases.
- If the catcher drops the ball on the third strike, the batter is out.
- Foul balls caught by the catcher may be called “out” - umpire’s discretion.
- Last inning is open ended for both teams. Therefore, coaches must agree when the last inning is going to be played. However, if, after 5 runs are scored, the home team wins, then the game is over.
- Throwing the bat—while throwing the bat is not encouraged, often times players are excited and the bat is tossed or thrown inadvertently. Coaches should remind players that throwing the bat is not acceptable. Umpires may issue a warning to the coach and the player the first time a bat is thrown, and after that, any player throwing the bat may be called out at the discretion of the umpire.
- Coaching Staff and Players need to arrive 10 minutes early so the game can start on time.
- Home team sets up the bases.
- Batting order is decided by the Coach, however, this league encourages fair play. The Coach is asked to rotate the batting order so that each player has an opportunity to bat first, last and in between. The Coach is asked to develop players by allowing all players the opportunity to play all positions several times during the season.
- Helmets are mandatory for all offensive players running the bases. The league does supply helmets. If wearing a league helmet, the player must wear his/her ball cap under the league helmets. Players are encouraged to supply their own helmets.
- Catcher’s equipment is provided and must be worn.
- Pitchers masks are available and must be worn.
- Umpires are volunteers. Parents need to help by umpiring the games. Fans/Coaches need to understand that umpires are doing the best job that they can, and will call a fair game.
- Coaches are volunteers. Parents are encouraged to assist the coaches when necessary.
- Players, parents and fans should direct most inquiries to the T-Ball and Soft-Ball Co-ordinator by email: Lauren Kos East firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check the Daily Game Status Button found on the Outdoor T-Ball and SoftBall Home Page to find out if the games are cancelled. The Game Status is updated after 4:30 pm on weekdays and after 10:00 am on weekends. Check the Game Recording to see if games are cancelled. Rule of thumb for canceling games—if there is a weather warning, or, if it has rained during the day to the extent that the fields will be extremely wet, then the games will be cancelled. Games are not cancelled because of temperature or wind.
- Late SoftBall Player registrations will be taken, but we cannot guarantee a spot on a specific team. Uniforms will not be purchased until payment in full is received. Remember, there are a maximum of 11 players per team, so please register early if you would like to be placed on a particular team.
- Check the Picture Link for time and place for uniform pickup and pictures.
Team San Marino